Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Mar 22 Chemo Day

 Well, this week went differently than in the past.  After the blood work was done, my platelet count is down to 64000, and the Drs cutoff is 75000.  So he postponed my chemo for a week.  Later he called with what he terms is good news (it's just more news to me).  He is going to add an immunotherapy drug to my treatment, because 1)  It will boost my immune system and 2)  It attacks cancer with a specific protein signature, which my cancer has.  And for those of you who worry, this is not instead of chemo, it is in addition to the chemo.  So we are going even heavier on the attack.  I think the Doc is doing this because he has seen how well I am handling the Chemo, and that I am improving faster than he thought. On an even better note, I have gained some weight, so my body is absorbing the nutrients needed from my food. Good sign, now I just need to start exercising so I can keep it under control.  But back to Chemo next week.  We took Kevin with us so he could see what was going on to relieve some of the anxiety from this.  So we are going to try again next week.

On other fronts, against my will but in accordance with Dr's advice (3, my GP, my endocrinologist, and my Oncologist because the cancer and treatment compromised my immune system) Carolyn and I got the first shot of the Covid 19 vaccine.  Our second shot is April 20.  If you are in Illinois and are a patient of the HSHS group (St. Elizabeth's and assorted local Doctors.) then you can logon to their MyChart site and if you haven't done it yet, create an account, this will allow you to access your medical info from current and past visits.  There is also an spot where you can sign up for the Covid vaccine.  We signed up on Sat, and were able to schedule an appointment for today.  Could have had an appointment yesterday, but had to many appointments already.  Carolyn's arm is bothering her (an expected side affect) me on the other had, am fine now, but will probably feel like crap tomorrow and Thursday (just like when I got the flu shot).

Speaking of which, Carolyn's vertigo is getting better, she had her second physical therapy appointment (for vertigo?  But yes there is physical therapy for it) yesterday.  So she is much better.

So I am still winning, and look for further updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment